How To UNFREEZE an Apple iPod If It Froze
Today, I got this email from a friend with a somewhat common problem. . .
From: Michael O
Time: October 21, 2008 10:04am
Subject: My iPod Froze
my Ipod Nano froze up….how do I unfreeze it!
FIRST ATTEMPT THIS TO UNFREEZE A FROZEN APPLE IPOD:
1. Make sure your Apple iPod is FULLY CHARGED
2. TURN the iPod player OFF and ON once
3. HOLD DOWN the MENU and SELECT buttons TOGETHER for at least 10 seconds
4. If it doesn’t get to you to a new screen, then repeat from step 2 again.
If that doesn’t work, watch the video at Apple’s own website which directs you to reinstall software and try to establish the connection to the PC again.
And if that 3-step tip isn’t clear enough, then here are the more detailed instructions version direct from Apple’s ipod support page:
If you’re having trouble with your iPod, try these steps (known around here as the five Rs) one at a time until the issue is resolved. These steps will often whip your iPod back into shape.
- Retry your iPod with a different USB or FireWire port on your computer (please note that the latest iPods can only be synced through USB).
- Reset your iPod. To reset an iPod, iPod nano, or iPod mini, press and hold the Menu and Select buttons until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 10 seconds. You may need to repeat this step. To reset an iPod shuffle, disconnect iPod shuffle from the computer (if connected), and then move the switch on the back of iPod shuffle to the off position. Wait 5 seconds, and then move the switch on the back to the play in order or the shuffle position.
- Restart your computer, and make sure that you have the latest software updates installed.
- Reinstall your iTunes software and make sure you have†downloaded†the latest version. Check your iPod software by connecting your iPod to your computer, and then in iTunes, select your iPod in the Source pane. Click the Summary tab, and the Version section tells you whether iPod is up to date or needs a newer version of the software. Click Update to install the latest version of the software.
- Restore your iPod by connecting your iPod to your computer, and then in iTunes, select your iPod in the Source pane. Click the Summary tab, and click Restore to restore iPod to its original settings. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the restore process. (Important: Please note that restoring an iPod will erase all songs and files on your iPod and restore it back to its original settings. Make a backup of any files on your iPod before restoring it. After restoring, you can transfer your music and files from your computer back to your iPod again.)
Here’s another video that might help you out with the 1st set of instructions:
Please let me know if these instructions worked and/or if you tried a different method…in the comment section below.