NEXT: iPhone Nano or iPhone Shuffle
It looks like Apple is not sitting back with the success of the Apple iPhone launch on June 29, 2007.
Apparently, Apple may be working on a cheaper iPhone based on the iPod Nano or iPod Shuffle form factor.
With probable limited capability, a Nano-based iPhone it is one way to get an iPhone into the hands of the masses for $300 or less vs the $600 for the 8GB iPhone in stores now.
According to a patent was issued by the United States Patent & Trademark Office, on July 5, 2007 (Patent #20070152983 was originally filed on November 1, 2006) there’s a circular scroll wheel type input mechanism that CHANGES based on MODE – i.e. phone, music, video, admin, etc:
Touch pad with symbols based on mode
AbstractA multifunctional handheld device capable of operating in different modes includes a single input arrangement that provides inputs for each mode of the multifunctional handheld device. The single input arrangement includes at least an input pad that provides signals when touched or pressed. The input pad may for example be a touch pad. The input pad is divided into one or more input areas that change in accordance with the current mode of the multifunctional handheld device. The multifunctional handheld device also includes a display device that presents graphical elements to indicate the configuration of the input areas at the input pad. Each mode of the multifunctional handheld device provides a different configuration of input areas and graphical elements associated therewith. “
Here’s a roundup of the latest tidbits about the iPhone Nano:
- Apple may launch Nano-based iPhone CNN
- Apple May Launch Nano-ish iPhone Before Year’s End Brighthand
- Cheaper iPhone Nano? Mac Rumors
- Apple Plans Cheaper, Nano-Based Phone, Says JP Morgan InformationWeek, NY
- Analysts: Apple Plans Cheaper nano-based iPhone, Phone-less iPhone RealTechNews
- Is Apple working on iPhone Nano? Canada.com
- Apple Patent Could Hint at ‘iPhone Nano‘ PC Magazine
- Apple may launch Nano-based iPhone CNN Money
- Apple plans cheaper, Nano-based phone: JP Morgan Boston Globe
- An analyst says Apple will release a Nano Phone Salon.com
- Apple Patent Could Hint at ‘iPhone Nano‘ PC Magazine via Yahoo! News